From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout (now dismantled) which sat on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016, I am now building the layout. This will be an ongoing record of the building of this layout.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Sunday, 13 June 2021

Brake Observation Coach

 Recently I purchased this kit, and having mulled over various building options since receiving it. I have decided not to build as per instructions, but to my own variation. 

1st I glued one side to one end, then did the same to the other side and end. When the glue had set I then joined the 2 parts together and glued the floor in. 

Then when that had all set I added one bulkhead. My wife's hair bands come in very handy.


New Mobile Crane Part 2

 Greenwich couplings fitted to the new mobile crane this morning, already for painting.


Saturday, 12 June 2021

'Emma' Passing Hadarford Lock

 'Emma' passing Hadarford lock with an up light freight.


Friday, 11 June 2021

New Mobile Crane

 This rather nice 3D printed mobile crane arrived in the post yesterday. 

This morning I glued a slightly modified Peco GR-104 bogie underneath ( I had to cut the pivot off) and temporarily refitted the wheelsets for photos. 


Thursday, 10 June 2021

'Leo' on the "Beer O'clock Special"

 'Leo' heading the "Beer O'clock Special" through the PW depot below the castle ruins 🍻 


Sunday, 6 June 2021

Alfred Henry

 Alfred Henry on the down toast rack service passing Hadarford Wood.


Saturday, 5 June 2021

Horsey Friends

It is the small details that make a scene 😊

Even if it is well hidden at the back of the layout .


Friday, 4 June 2021

Busy Morning

 Mr Beeton is setting off onboard his ploughing engine with living van in tow behind two of his display engines on a low loader, for a steam gala weekend. 

Baldwin "Keith" on the early morning down passenger service having just left Hadarford station and about to enter Hadarford tunnel, whilst saddle tank "Wendy" has just taken on coal.


Thursday, 3 June 2021

New Trees Part 2

This morning I added the other taller and half relief trees that arrived yesterday to hide the backscene joint behind Beeton Wood.

I wasn't that happy with the positions of the new trees at the back of Beeton Wood, so I have been moving a few around this evening, much happier now.


Wednesday, 2 June 2021

New Trees

 This morning some new trees arrived by post. I have fitted 2 of them to hide the corner of the new backscene and the road that just ends in a field!

Before fitting the 2 new trees.

2 new trees fitted.

I will fit the other trees tomorrow morning when it is cooler.


Tuesday, 1 June 2021


 Saddle tank "Valerie" awaiting the signal to depart the canal wharf siding with a mixed freight.


Monday, 31 May 2021

Double Fairlie "Paddy"

 Double Fairlie "Paddy" heading an up special passenger service passing Hadarford lock. 


Sunday, 30 May 2021

 The Sunday steam railcar service plus additional coach.


Thursday, 27 May 2021

New Backscene

 I have never been happy with the cloudy sky backscene behind the farm.

Especially where it meets the top of the brick wall and goes down to ground level at the pair of gates.

Today I have fitted a new backscene.

I have ordered some new tall trees to hide the corner and the joint to the cloudy sky behind Beeton Wood.


Wednesday, 26 May 2021

Road Roller Part 3

 The new road roller added to the busy roadworks scene.


Tuesday, 25 May 2021

Alice and Emma

 Alice and Emma, named after my two grandmothers, double heading an up mixed traffic passing Hadarford lock. 😊 

A hare is  racing them! 😲


Monday, 24 May 2021

Doris and Douglas

 Doris and Douglas double-heading a down passenger service below the long retaining wall.


Sunday, 23 May 2021

Grand Gala Weekend Day 2

 Day 2 of the Grand Gala Weekend, and it steam loco naming day. Mr Beeton has some of his steam road vehicles on display, and he is out playing with his ploughing engine and living wagon in tow. 

Even the MG and Lotus section of the Hadarford Car Club have turned out and parked up in the Station Hotel car park. 😊


Saturday, 22 May 2021

Grand Gala Weekend

 1st day of the "Grand Gala Weekend", celebrate the naming of the railway's fleet of diesel engines today.


Thursday, 20 May 2021

Named Locos

 Today 28 of my locos now have nameplates, names are from family and pets, plus 3 others.