Finished, apart from the glazing which I will do this evening, to allow the glue on the windows time to set.
As with the previous 3 kits, I will weather them when I come to attach them to the layout.
From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.
I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.
For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.
I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the
Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.
Almost finished. 1st thing this morning I started by attaching the front door canopy.
Then I primered everything.
And then throughout the later morning and early afternoon I finished painting.
The doors and windows are painted ready to fit along with the glazing.
The cottage has moved on at quite a pace today, I am getting used to building this type of kit. The walls are joined together, the window sills and lintels fitted.
The rear of the cottage.
Underside of the roof.
The roof and chimney temporarily in place.
Today I am about to start building the last kit that I bought some time ago. It was going to be the lock cottage, but as I have bought a ready made model of a lock cottage, I will use this just as a cottage, somewhere.
The templates for the walls, chimney and roof.
The walls, roof and floor pieces. As with the previous kits, the single floor piece I will not use until I finally install the kits on the layout, if I use them at all. This piece is intended to be used around the buildings, which I may decide as not appropriate.
The detail pieces, doors, windows, door canopy, ridge tiles, guttering, window sills, chimney pots, garden walls, reinforcing corners and a waving man.
Yesterday I finished painting the 2 telephone kiosks that I built Saturday.
The back board inside of both kiosks was created by using this photo, clipping it in Photoshop, then pasting it in a Word document before reducing it down to size and then printing it. I have found that by pasting into Word and reducing it, I get a better resolution and as the word document on my laptop screen is actual size of the printout it is easier to get it to the right size.
However I do have a dilemma as there are 3 options of how the kiosks should be sited, as shown below. I will have to put it to the vote on facebook.
I also finished painting the outside toilet.
Today I built 3 out buildings, an outside toilet and 2 sheds.
However one of the sheds is open fronted and I was a bit disappointed that the internal walls, which will be visible, were not patterned with the stonework, but were just flat. By using some scraps of wall left over from the cottages I recently built I add internal stonework to this shed, matching in the ends of the stones as best I could.
Today I decided to add an extra chimney at the rear of the hotel, which will be for the kitchen.
At the same time I constructed the central chimney, then I added to the roof, which I completed today. I then added the barge boards and most of the guttering (see further down for explanation).
The completed roof fitted temporarily to the building. I am leaving it loose for the time being so I can install the led lighting when it arrives next week.
I haven’t added the piece of guttering on the rear wall as this will have to be done once the roof is fixed on to the walls. This piece of guttering will have to cross the small chimney, which will make the roof unable to be removed once this has been added.