From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout which sits on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016, I am now building the layout. This will be an ongoing record of the building of this layout.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Wednesday, 31 October 2018

Completed Model Railway Shed

Today I constructed the roof for the model railway shed, which I am leaving removable, and added the gutters and drainpipes, then finished painting it.

IMG_0585

With the roof removed and the view through the main window.

IMG_0588

With the roof removed, the view of the model railway inside the shed.

IMG_0586

Keith.

Tuesday, 30 October 2018

Completed Piling and Canal Wharf Wall Coping Stones.

Having painted the bullhead rail rusty coloured, I attached it to the piling.

IMG_0578

Close-up view of the finished piling.

IMG_0581

I have also painted the coping stones on the canal wharf wall, this now completes all the painting of all the canal walls.

IMG_0580

Keith.

Sunday, 28 October 2018

Piling and Model Railway Shed.

This morning I cut some cardboard up into 3mm x 17mm pieces for the concrete piling.

Piles of concrete piling on the towpath ready for fitting.

IMG_0565

After lunch I glued the pieces of piling onto the towpath edge and repainted the canal bed and towpath around it.

IMG_0566

I have started to convert this kit of a small (10ft x 7ft) signal box into a model railway shed.

IMG_0567

IMG_0568

Keith.

Saturday, 27 October 2018

Lock-side Painting

Having returned to our mooring for the winter, and finished sorting out a few things, I set about painting the coping stones on the lock walls and the upper lock landing today. I also touched up the concrete treadways under the lock beams and the earth up to the lock wall coping stones.

IMG_0561

IMG_0562

For some time I have been mulling over the earth bank between the canal bridge and the lower lock landing on the towpath-side. I was not happy with such a bank being there, so I have been considering different schemes to replace it. I have decided to replace it with simulated concrete piling with bullhead rail running along its length, typical on the Grand Union Canal. I have ordered a length of bullhead track, which should arrive Monday. I have removed the earth bank in preparation for constructing the piling. It didn’t take too much to remove it, so probably a good thing I am changing it.

IMG_0564

Keith.

Monday, 8 October 2018

A Few Trees.

A few trees and figures make a big difference, I say a few trees, 180 trees, and I had thought I had bought too many, but I will have to order at least as many again.

IMG_0534b

IMG_0531b

IMG_0532b

IMG_0530b

IMG_0533b

IMG_0535b

IMG_0536b

IMG_0537b

Keith.

Sunday, 7 October 2018

Further Detail Painting of the Working Boats.

Blacking of the rubbing strakes between the tunnel bands on the motor, difficult enough at full scale! Cabin doors initial base colour.

IMG_0524b

Both boats front hatch covers.

IMG_0519b

Start of the elaborate Elum painting on the butty, and it’s cabin doors base colour.

IMG_0521b

Both bows now have their base colour.

IMG_0528b

The stern of the butty now has its base colour.

IMG_0525b

Red hinges on the front hatch covers.

IMG_0529b

Keith.

Tuesday, 2 October 2018

Canal Bed Painting.

The 1st coat of base colour for the canal bed.

At the canal wharf.

IMG_0494b

Above the canal lock.

IMG_0496b

Keith.