From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.
I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.
For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.
I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the
Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.
Friday, 30 November 2018
Thursday, 29 November 2018
Wednesday, 28 November 2018
Tuesday, 27 November 2018
Sunday, 25 November 2018
This afternoon I added the white lines either side of the pedestrian crossing.
I then fixed the level crossing ramps and the pedestrian crossing gateways in place.
I have temporarily removed the other parts of the crossings in preparation for ballasting the track, which I will have to do before I can finally fix the remaining parts of both crossings in place.
Saturday, 24 November 2018
Friday, 23 November 2018
Yesterday and today Jo and I have fitted guttering down both sides of the railway room.
It is to prevent any rain leakage past the sheeting should the sealant fail, and also to catch any condensation from under the gunnels, so that neither drip onto the layout.
Thursday, 22 November 2018
Having prepared the level crossing components, I wanted to fit the servos to motorize the gates.
Unfortunately I discovered that one of the servos was where the cross beam under the joint of the 2 baseboards was.
Fortunately this beam is 50mm wide, to support the joint, so there was room to remove some of it to be able to fit the servo, as in this photo.
Both servos and the control board fitted.
The steel activation rods which will be glued into the servo drives are temporarily in place.
The gates will be glued to these rods once the control board is wired up and functioning and I can determine the correct location on the rods to fit the gates.
Wednesday, 21 November 2018
Tuesday, 20 November 2018
Monday, 19 November 2018
Sunday, 18 November 2018
Friday, 16 November 2018
Thursday, 15 November 2018
I have added a further 3 street lamps, 6 working now.
This was after a bit of a rewire as I discovered that where they have a black and a white wire, the black is positive not negative as per standard wiring.
I changed the wiring from red/black, to white/black to match the lamp wires, and swapped the black wire over to the positive supply.
A further 4 street lamps added, I may add 1 more, thinking about it.