Having shaped the churchyard, this now completes all the landscaping of the insulation foam.
From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.
I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.
For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.
I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the
Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.
Today I constructed the lower lock landing, Hadar awaiting the lock on the lock landing.
I laid the Yorkstone patio for Jo’s Tea Rooms.
I have now fixed in place the 4 treadways under the lock gate balance beams and started to fill in around them, but I need to let this dry before doing some more.
I have painted the landscaping at the farm, farm road and tunnel area.
I also painted the the the 2 new pieces of landscape at the other end of the layout.
Shopping this morning meant a delayed start today. I have though primered with red oxide the canal lock approach walls and the lock landing.
I have fixed the towpath under the bridge and the towpath ramp, and primered both and the remaining retaining walls around both bridges.
The other end of the towpath under the bridge.
I have prepared the lock beam tread areas for attaching the raised bricks which I have cut ready.
Finally I have prepared the last pieces of landscaping, I will glue them down tomorrow.
Not much progress today, due to having to take the radiator out of our shower room so it can be painted, and a trip to our local hardware shop for some plaster to use on the layout.
After lunch I started to tackle the detail around the lock.
I have decided to create concrete balance beam tread areas, which will have bricks added for the foot grips, along with the ground paddles at the top gates.
Bottom gates tread areas.
I have also started to create the towpath ramp from under the bridge up to the lock-side.
this morning I had fully intended to be a “navvie” to dig out the canal above the lock. However, I suddenly realised that I had not constructed the lock landing area above the lock!
For those who do not know about canals, a lock landing is a section of some form of wall where boats can tie up temporarily to be able to leave it there and to go to the lock to prepare it to go into it.
This is the now constructed lock landing.
Hadar patiently waiting on the lock landing for the 2 working boats to exit the lock.
The start of some of the finishing touches. the residents of Hadarford obviously favour Yorkstone paving.
The under building entrance to the Boat Inn.
The backyard of the hair salon.
The bus shelter and telephone kiosk area.
The passageway between the cottages and the general store.
The under building entrance and backyard of the chemists.
The entrance to the butchers has some red floor tiles.
So does Jo’s tea rooms.
These arrived in the post this morning.
A Baldwin 4-6-0 engine and 2 special edition “Bure Valley Railway” wagons.
This photo is of the new engine behind the kit one I built for my late father about 30 years ago.
Quite a difference especially in the size of the motor, which in the original one extends into the cab area, whereas the new one you cannot see the motor at all!
This morning was spent using filler to fill all the gaps in the landscape.
This afternoon I painted the brickwork of the canal lock and the approach walls.
The painted brickwork of the canal wharf wall.
The painted brickwork underneath the canal bridge.
I also painted the tunnel portal, fixed in in place and filled in the gaps around it.
The 3rd and final phase of landscaping is almost complete in the village and canal lock area. I just need to add a small fillet along the front edge adjacent to the railway track, but I need to wait for the glue to set on the rest before doing that. I will also need to do some final shaping once I have added the fillets and they have set.
The whole village and lock area.
The church area.
I have also made and fitted the lower lock entrance walls, underneath the bridge.
As seen from the canal wharf.
The lower lock entrance on the towpath side, as seen from the lock.
The lower lock entrance on the opposite side to the towpath.