From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.
I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.
For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.
I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the
Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.
Wednesday, 31 January 2018
Tuesday, 30 January 2018
Monday, 29 January 2018
Sunday, 28 January 2018
Saturday, 27 January 2018
Friday, 26 January 2018
Thursday, 25 January 2018
Wednesday, 24 January 2018
Tuesday, 23 January 2018
Monday, 22 January 2018
Wednesday, 17 January 2018
Tuesday, 16 January 2018
Sunday, 14 January 2018
This morning I temporarily installed the new permanent lighting, and removed the temporary lighting permanently.
Considering the temporary lighting has been in the hold for 10 years it hasn't done too bad. The temporary lighting was 4 12v halogen bulbs, 20 Watts per bulb, the new lighting is 4 LED light fittings, 2 Watts per fitting but equivalent to 25 Watts output each so brighter with less power consumed.
New lighting fitted temporarily but turned off, temporary lights on.
Temporary lights turned off, new lights on.
Temporary lights removed.
As can be seen from the photos then new lights are definitely brighter.
Saturday, 13 January 2018
Port side finished today, it was lot easier today, and all the work was finished by 2.00pm.
Battens on the port side fixed in place.
Jo getting to grips with her new compact camera I bought her for Christmas.
The 2 large sheets of plywood fixed in place, with the socket box in place.
Just the last small piece to fit.
Both double sockets wired in and working.
The last piece of plywood on the port side fixed in place.
The final piece of plywood is fixed in place on the starboard side, that is enough for today.
Friday, 12 January 2018
Wednesday, 10 January 2018
This morning Jo and I cut the battens ready for installation.
Unfortunately my first attempt to install the first batten failed! I managed to strip 3 Phillips No.2 bits trying to screw it to the steel bearers with the special self-drilling screws. Contacted the supplier ScrewFix and they recommend special bits for the job which I have ordered and will pick up tomorrow morning whilst I am out in Leamington Spa food shopping.
The engine at the back of my little railway arrived today, a great addition to my fleet of locos.
Tuesday, 9 January 2018
Today the first order of timber and plywood arrived.
Because of the lack of space in the hold we cannot store all the wood we need for the whole fit out, so this delivery is enough timber for the battens and walls for the walls below the gunwale.
I have also laid the mains cable in which will go behind the ply walls, which will give us a double socket on each wall.