From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout which sits on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016, I am now building the layout. This will be an ongoing record of the building of this layout.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Friday, 21 April 2017

Kit building 6 - Chimneys, Lintels & Window Sills

This is one of the 2 chimneys at either ends of the terrace that I built yesterday. because I was able to cut them from the same sheet of walling, I was able to continue the mortar lines around the corners, and with a little work with a Stanley knife and some emery paper, the desired effect is not too bad. Fortunately the joint of unmatched stonework,which is unavoidable, is at the rear of both chimneys, so not noticeable.

IMG_7490

Today I have cut and fixed the window sills and lintels to the window apertures. I have not added lintels to the tops of the door apertures as I will be adding the provided canopies over the doors so the lintels would not be visible anyway.

IMG_7488

Close-up view of some of the window sills and lintels. I have decided not to add such detail to the rear of these buildings as they will not be seen. The wall joint visible in this photo where the 2 wall sheets have been joined will be hidden behind a guttering downpipe, but I won’t add that until after I have painted the stonework, which is the next step over the weekend.

IMG_7489

Keith.

No comments:

Post a Comment