From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout which sits on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016, I am now planning the layout. This will be an ongoing record of the building of this layout.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Wednesday, 13 September 2017

Work in the Hold to Build the Model Railway Room

Today we started preparatory work for building my model railway room in the hold. First we had to sort out the rubbish we had accumulated, which went to the bins, then moved everything else as far forward as possible, which allowed us access to and removal of the first two shutts (floorboards) from the bulkhead at the saloon end of the hold.

IMG_4922

IMG_4926

IMG_4928

IMG_4930

It is in better condition than we thought it might be. Jo set about scraping and removing the loose bits, then painted the base of the walls. It is already for oiling tomorrow morning, then we can do under the next 2 shutts. We thought that whilst we had the shutts up it was lagging the main water pipe from the water tank in the bow with some pipe insulation, to stop the condensation which appears to be happening, so I popped to Screwfix to get some and have fitted the first lengths.

Keith.

No comments:

Post a Comment