From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout (now dismantled) which sat on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016, I am now building the layout. This will be an ongoing record of the building of this layout.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Thursday, 21 May 2020

Longer Box Van fitted with Bogies Part 2

Tuesday I had an accident whilst working on the long box van.
For the 1st time ever using a scalpel I managed to cut my forefinger. 
It took a while to stop the blood by keeping pressure on the wound with my thumb. 
I eventually was able to put a plaster on it for overnight, which I took off Wednesday morning and rested for the rest of the day to let it heal.


With the finger well on the way to healing this morning, I restarted work on the long box van.
2 sides, 2 ends, and 4 sets of doors, cut to size, rubbed with emery paper to simulate wood grain and scored to simulate planks. 
2 cross-members required to support what will be a long roof, cut to size. 
I am awaiting a delivery of 1mm x 1mm strip to proceed further, hopefully arriving in tomorrows post.

Keith

No comments:

Post a comment