From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout (now dismantled) which sat on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016, I am now building the layout. This will be an ongoing record of the building of this layout.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Wednesday, 14 October 2020

Distressed Loco

 A lot earlier in the year I purchased this partially built Baldwin Class 10-12-D and recently started to look at what I could do with it. the 1st photo is all the bits supplied. 

Unfortunately the wheels on the supplied chassis does not suit the loco and there were no piston cylinders with it. 

I have been thinking about what to do with it, so this morning I started on building it as a disused loco to sit forlornly near the engine shed, going rusty and overgrown with weeds.

I removed the wheels and electric motor from the chassis and glued the chassis to the bodywork. I also fitted the front of the footplate.


I fitted a card floor to the cab to cover the hole where the electric motor came into the cab.


I then glued the rear and cab sides onto the floor. 

I have formed a new card roof as the original white metal one does not fit correctly and it was easier to make a new one rather than butchering the original and will fit this after priming and painting the cab interior.

Keith

No comments:

Post a comment