From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout (now dismantled) which sat on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016, I am now building the layout. This will be an ongoing record of the building of this layout.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Thursday, 11 March 2021

Lift-out Bridge Repairs Part 3

 Busy morning with Jo's mouse sander making the larger lift-out bridge easier to fit in place. 

When I first built the 2 bridges it was during the summer, during the winter the steel hull shrinks and they were more that a tight fit. 

I had cured the smaller bridge before my back went last year. 

Now the larger one has room to spare which I have a plan to cure, which I have successfully used on the smaller bridge and works well. 

Once I finished sanding I glued the new section of sleepers in place with Evo-Stik, fitted the rails to align the sleepers correctly.


Then I used a handy weight to keep everything in place whilst the glue sets.

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment