From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout (now dismantled) which sat on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016, I am now building the layout. This will be an ongoing record of the building of this layout.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Monday, 18 October 2021

D041

 On Friday 8th Oct I made a start on my next project, this diesel loco I picked up on eBay.


I have cut done the Kato chassis to fit.


The body temporarily fitted to the chassis, I need to do some further work to ensure the chassis fits accurately inside the body.


Wednesday 13th I sorted out the seating of the Kato chassis in the new diesel shunter, then I sprayed it inside and out with grey primer.



Thursday 14th October I had forgotten to fix the couplings to the shunter, so today I removed the primer paint from the buffer beams, glued the couplings in place and reprimed it.



I also primered the accessories to be added later.
 

Yesterday was painting day. 
However, I managed to paint the roof the wrong colour, I had used the coach roof grey instead of the loco roof grey. 
I have now corrected this and also added a code lamp.



Glazing fitted and transfers applied to D041 this afternoon.


With the driver fitted inside D041, this now completes this loco.


Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment