D661 on the down passenger service, whilst D201 waits in the wharf siding ready to depart with a small freight train 😊
From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.
I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.
For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.
I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the
Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.
Yesterday I prepared the latest 4 mini loco bodies with dividing bulkheads and covered exhaust ports ready to add weight in the form of "Liquid Lead" to give some weight to them to increase their tractive effort as the plastic bodies and chassis' are very light.
Today I added Liquid Lead to each one, then poured glue over to fix them in place.
The 4 bodies in a temporary cradle ready for the Liquid Lead to be added.
13 days ago I purchased this model of a Hibberd & Co. "Planet" 4wDM diesel loco and Fleishmann 0-4-0 chassis which arrived 8 days ago.
Since then I have been trying to work out how to fix the Fleishmann chassis to the whitemetal body.
This morning I came up with a solution using the existing screw hole in the chassis, which I had to drill out to fit the only spare screw I had, and drilled a smaller hole in the whitemetal body for the screw to thread into.
I then added 2 plastic strips to the body to set it at a reasonable height on the chassis and drilled the fixing hole through the plastic.
The Fleishmann 0-4-0 chassis
As the body came primered it is now ready for spray painting.
Today I made a start the tedious task of numbering the next 4 mini locos, having completed the 37 some time ago.
I have added the letter D's to the other 4 locos, tomorrow will be the 1st digit of 3.
I am using a numbering scheme I have come up with, by starting the number with the D as used in the early diesel era of BR, the 1st 2 digits are the class number and the 3rd and final digit the loco number in the class, hence the 37 is D371.
Morning and early afternoon of concentration painting the detail onto the mini class 58 and 66.
Black vent grills, red buffer beams, red & white lights, black vacuum pipes & their orange connections and gun metal buffers.
I will apply transfers tomorrow.