Transfers applied this afternoon has completed the brake observation coach.
From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.
I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.
For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.
I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the
Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.
More painting today, maroon trim to the signal box and bargeboards, and the roof tiles painted.
Vacuum pipe at the observation end of the coach and the roof painted, but not fitted, still need to fit glazing and passengers inside and couplings to the bogies.
Mobile crane has had some detailing paintwork.
For some time now I have not been happy with the signal box, being made from resin it has very thick walls, not a problem with the larger buildings on the layout, but quite obvious with such large windows on such a small building.
I have decided to replace it with a Wills kit, all 4 sides glued together.
Recently I purchased this kit, and having mulled over various building options since receiving it. I have decided not to build as per instructions, but to my own variation.
1st I glued one side to one end, then did the same to the other side and end. When the glue had set I then joined the 2 parts together and glued the floor in.
Then when that had all set I added one bulkhead. My wife's hair bands come in very handy.