From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout (now dismantled) which sat on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016, I am now building the layout. This will be an ongoing record of the building of this layout.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Monday, 29 March 2021

Test Run

 With Easter only 4 days away, and the start of steam engine services, Baldwin "Keith" is out on a test run having had a new boiler fitted over the winter, has just come round Hadarford Hill, accompanied by a diesel shunter just in case of problems.

Keith

Saturday, 27 March 2021

Residents of Hadarford

 Busy this morning thinking up names for the occupants of the various houses, cottages and businesses in Hadarford so I can refer to them in my postings to make sure I am consistent in using the same names.


Keith

Saturday is Race Day.

 The race day special is off to Alfa Central with Susan Smith from Hadarford Farm, her horse "Special" and their trainer Bill Thomas safely stowed in the horsebox.

Hope they have a great day out with their friends 🏇🏇🏇

Keith

Friday, 26 March 2021

Transferred Load

 Quite a load transferred from canal to rail awaiting opening of the level crossing and clearance to proceed from the signalman.

Keith

Thursday, 25 March 2021

Water Well Part 3

 Having finished the water well yesterday, today I have to decide where to place it. 

I have 16 possible places.


This is the same location just viewed from a different location as it is not easy to photograph it.
















Keith

Wednesday, 24 March 2021

Water Well Part 2

 The water well is now finished, just got to find somewhere on the layout for it to go.



The 4 cats painted, may need some touching up.


The 4 ground signals just need the red stripe across the white disc.


The scooter and rider need a lot more work, although I may decide not use the rider.


Keith

Busy at Hadarford Station

 D471 on the down passenger service and D661 (out of view) on the up passenger and mail service.

Keith

Tuesday, 23 March 2021

Oh Well!

 A few days ago Built this well from a kit of parts, today I primered it and 4 cats, 4 ground signals, 1 scooter, and 1 scooter rider.

Keith

Carriage Refurb

 Following a busy winter program of running repairs to the railway, the 3 works train coaches are off to the shed at Alfa Central for a much needed refurb before Easter.

Keith

Wednesday, 17 March 2021

Repainted Wagons

 The wagons that I repainted yesterday.


Added to some of my existing similar wagons behind D031 passing Hadarford lock.


Keith

Saturday, 13 March 2021

New Fire Engine

 The local fire brigade are out trialling their new pump ladder engine, the centre one of the three, which arrived yesterday. 🚒

Keith

Lift-out Bridge Repairs Part 7

 Yesterday some shiny new chain arrived in the post.

This morning I replaced the temporary rusty length I had used to test the theory on the short lift-bridge.


These 2 photos show how the chain and tensioner takes up the variable gap, due to expansion and contraction of the hull dependant on outside temperature, between the bridge and the layout.


I then fitted the remaining length of new chain and a new tensioner below the long lift-out bridge.


It still needs some adjustment on another day.

Keith

Friday, 12 March 2021

Lift-out Bridge Repairs Part 6

 Not a lot different from yesterdays photo, but this morning I applied the glue to the ballast, and as Eric Morecombe would say "you can't even see the join!" 😲 

Well you can ever so slightly where the wet ballast meets the old dry ballast 😊

Keith

Thursday, 11 March 2021

Lift-out Bridge Repairs Part 5

 New ballast laid on the lift-out bridge.

Keith

Lift-out Bridge Repairs Part 4

 This afternoon I resoldered all 4 rails to their respective locating screws.

The 2 large screwheads are part of the rebuild, the plywood baseboard was lifting due to not enough screws holding it down to the timber frame.



I also resoldered the power wires to supply power to the bridge.

Keith