From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout (now dismantled) which sat on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016.

I have now built the layout. This is now a full record of the building of this layout and any new additions along the way.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Sunday 31 October 2021

Saturday 30 October 2021

Silver Birch Trees

 Recently I purchased and added these 4 silver birch trees to Hadarford. 

However I was not happy with the, as supplied, glossy grey trunks they had. 

This morning I removed them from the layout.

I gave them a coat of dark brown to start with.

 Then dry brushed with white.

And refitted to the layout.


Weekend Restoration Work

 Weekend restoration work in the engine shed. 

Some arc welding on the underside being carried out along with some work behind the rear buffer beam. 


Wednesday 27 October 2021

Market Day

 Cattle off to market day today, and the farrier is in to shoe some of the horses of Hadarford farm. 


Tuesday 26 October 2021

0-4-0 'Emma'

 0-4-0 'Emma', passing through the PW depot below the castle ruins on its way to Hadarford with a mixed freight train. 


Sunday 24 October 2021

0-4-4-0 'Paddy'

 0-4-4-0 'Paddy' emerging from fiddleyard tunnel, heading towards Hadarford ahead of the Sunday morning up passenger service.


Saturday 23 October 2021

Ground Signals

 Back in January I made a further 2 ground signals to add to the 2 existing ones. 

Today I got round to fitting them. 

I know they are on the wrong side of the track, when I fitted the original pair I assumed they went on the left side, I spent some time this afternoon trying to remove the original 2 to reposition them, but they are too well glued in and as they are made of plastic I didn't want to run the risk of damaging them.


Summertime Open Carriage Train

 Last of the summertime open carriage trains for this year waiting to depart Hadarford station.


Friday 22 October 2021

The Pumpkin Train

 It's that time of year, the Pumpkin Train on it's way, 🚂🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃

#Halloween #halloween2021 #pumpkins


Thursday 21 October 2021

D041 in Service

 Following successful test runs yesterday, D041 is brought into more heavier service today.


Wednesday 20 October 2021

D041 Test Run

 D041 is on a test run on a small ballast train.


Monday 18 October 2021


 On Friday 8th Oct I made a start on my next project, this diesel loco I picked up on eBay.

I have cut done the Kato chassis to fit.

The body temporarily fitted to the chassis, I need to do some further work to ensure the chassis fits accurately inside the body.

Wednesday 13th I sorted out the seating of the Kato chassis in the new diesel shunter, then I sprayed it inside and out with grey primer.

Thursday 14th October I had forgotten to fix the couplings to the shunter, so today I removed the primer paint from the buffer beams, glued the couplings in place and reprimed it.

I also primered the accessories to be added later.

Yesterday was painting day. 
However, I managed to paint the roof the wrong colour, I had used the coach roof grey instead of the loco roof grey. 
I have now corrected this and also added a code lamp.

Glazing fitted and transfers applied to D041 this afternoon.

With the driver fitted inside D041, this now completes this loco.