From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout (now dismantled) which sat on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016, I am now building the layout. This will be an ongoing record of the building of this layout.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Wednesday, 3 June 2020

Large Lift-Out Bridge Repairs

This morning I made a start on repairing the larger lift-out bridge which I have been having problems with since it didn't fit properly a few months ago. 
I have successfully unsoldered, using solder wick, which arrived in the post last week, and pulled out the 2 shorter lengths of rail.


This has now allowed me to slide the two longer rails towards the layout and I have been able to flatten the ends of the rails, line them up and re-solder them to the retaining screws, which has reduced the gaps between the rails at the bridge joint.


After lunch I resumed the repair work on the large lift-out bridge. 
New replacement rails inserted to gauge the length required, then cut to length.


All joints re-soldered and the wire leads re-soldered back onto the bridge track.


Part of the problem I discovered today was the 2 vertical retaining strips of wood either side of the bridge were loose. 
I must have forgotten to glue them as well as screw them. removed, glued and refitted. 


Just need to allow the glue to dry overnight then I can run some test trains over the bridge.

Keith

No comments:

Post a comment