From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout (now dismantled) which sat on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016, I am now building the layout. This will be an ongoing record of the building of this layout.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Tuesday, 15 January 2019

Road Markings Part 8

Whilst awaiting the glue on the 1st section of glasspaper in the farm yard to set, I went over all the road markings, the white lines and the yellow bus stop area, especially where gaps had occurred or the original markings were a bit thin in colour.
This inspired me to have a 2nd go at the “KEEP CLEAR” road markings, which has been more successful this time, possibly because as I had had the pot of paint open for a length of time that this may have allowed the paint to stiffen which has made painting the writing easier. What ever the reason it certainly has been more successful.

With this success under my belt I went back to the parking bay in front of the Chemists and added the diagonal hatched lines and also the disabled sign in the bay. I will pass on trying to redo the wording outside of the bay whilst I am still ahead. Once the paint has dried, then I can go over the tarmac around the markings to tidy them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment