From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout (now dismantled) which sat on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016.

I have now built the layout. This is now a full record of the building of this layout and any new additions along the way.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Thursday 16 November 2023

New Fueling Point

One thing that Hadarford was missing was a fueling point for diesel locos. I had built a diesel tank, but didn't have a means of getting the diesel from the tank into the locos.

This week I was successful in purchasing this fueling point, and today I removed ballast etc. from it's new location, and glued it in place. I also added a downpipe to the fuel tank, and valve wheel (the yellow wheel in the 2nd photo) to isolate the fueling point from the tank. I also refitted the water standpipe, which once stood where the new fueling point now resides. I have fitted it to one of the legs of the canopy.

I just need to reballast and fit new ground gravel to complete, once the glue has dried ๐Ÿ˜Š


No comments:

Post a Comment