From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout (now dismantled) which sat on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016.

I have now built the layout. This is now a full record of the building of this layout and any new additions along the way.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Monday 15 April 2024

Lift-out Bridge Repairs part 5

 Today I got a bit further with the repairs to my large lift-out bridge.

With both ends at the fiddleyard and layout completed, it was time to work on refitting the track.

Where I got to before today, one end of the bridge cut off and fixed to the layout baseboard
The other end of the bridge cut off and fixed to the fiddleyard baseboard

Adding 2 of the additional brass screws to which the rails will be soldered to keep them in place

The 2 sections of rail have been cut to length and fitted to the sleepers to ensure the screws are at the correct height to line up with the rails on the bridge

The other end of the bridge gets the same treatment

Gluing the 1st section of track in place using Evostik.

Gluing the 2nd section of track in place at the other end using Evostik.


No comments:

Post a Comment