From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout (now dismantled) which sat on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016, I am now building the layout. This will be an ongoing record of the building of this layout.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Tuesday, 11 December 2018

Road Laying Part 4 and Further Stringing of Hadar

Jo came up with an idea to stop the ingress of rain into the railway room. The problem has been that the original side sheets are inside of the steel hull, and clamped to it with a strip of oak. When built it was sealed along the full length on both sides with sealant. However it would appear that although we have resealed it, rain still gets through.
Jo’s idea was to purchase some additional sheeting, the length of the hold, and 50cm wide and to attach it along its top edge to the strings holding the side sheets, and letting this new sheeting to hang over on the outside of the steel. I though this was a brilliant idea. Jo ordered the sheeting yesterday afternoon. It arrived 8:00am this morning!
I had to an appointment with Physiotherapy at Warwick Hospital this morning, so when we got back, we had a sandwich for lunch, and set about cutting and fitting this new sheeting on the starboard side. Once finished had to turn Hadar around to be able to do the port side. Once finished we turned Hadar again.
After all this I was able to do a little bit more on the layout. I have glued in place the last section of road surface over the canal bridge which completes the road from the farm to the canal bridge.
IMG_0832b


I have also glued down the 1st section of road surface across the canal and railway bridges at the village.
IMG_0834b

I have also finished the 2 front strings on the model of Hadar, and progressed further with the sheeting strings.
IMG_0833b
Keith.

No comments:

Post a Comment