From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. The last layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout (now dismantled) which sat on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016, I am now building the layout. This will be an ongoing record of the building of this layout.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Friday, 7 December 2018

Working Boats and Hadars’ Strings.

I am in the middle of adding the strings to the pair of working narrowboats, and the model of Hadar.
the 1st pair of front strings on the false cratch are finished, and I have started the 2nd pair in between the 1st pair and the fire hose. They are complete replicas of how the are done, except for the little rosette at the end of the string which gets tucked underneath, just a tad too difficult to do in this scale!
IMG_0801b

the 1st pair of front strings on Hadar finished and the 2nd pair started. I have also started the main strings over the top sheets on Hadar.
IMG_0802b

At each stage of gluing the strings I am leaving them overnight to allow the glue to fully harden as I need to tension the strings when applying the next bit of glue.
Keith.

No comments:

Post a Comment