From when my Parents gave me my first train set for a Christmas present as a child, I have had an interest in model railways. I originally started in "OO" gauge, but have also built in "N" and "O" gauge. One layout I built was my exhibition layout "Holmehurst" which was in "O" gauge, and I exhibited it around the country. Photos of it can be seen by following this link.

I inherited some "OO9" rolling stock from my late father, including a loco I built from a white metal kit for him, and ever since living on our working narrowboat Hadar I have been thinking about building a "OO9" layout.

For those who do not know, "OO9" is "OO" scale, which is 4mm to 1ft, but the track and rolling stock are narrow gauge, equivalent to 2ft gauge in real life. Modelling-wise this means that I can used standard "OO" scale buildings, people, scenery etc. of which there is a far greater range of ready built items and kits to choose from, but it has the advantage that the reduced size of the track and rolling stock means that curves can be tighter than for standard gauge, without losing a realistic look within a restricted layout size.

I had thought about building a layout in our garden alongside our mooring at the Saltisford Canal Centre, but after much thought decided that this would not be practical. However I built a small layout (now dismantled) which sat on the shelf above the display cabinet, in our saloon, which houses my "O" gauge rolling stock. Having finished it, my wife Jo suggested that when we stop selling coal I could build a layout in the hold. As we stopped selling coal at the end of 2016.

This is a full record of the building of the original layout, and having moved into a flat in Warwick and sold our narrowboat, this will now cover the building of the New Hadarford in our flat.

Please feel free to leave comments, I am always interested in suggestions or questions.

Wednesday, 16 September 2026

Road Surface on Final Baseboard Part 3, Final Pavements and Ballast Laying Part 10

 This morning, I applied glue down between the 2 tracks through the station and under the point rodding of the right-hand point at the front of the layout, then sprinkled ballast on it. I have not taken it all the way along the front of the layout as I am going to put static grass down there at the same time when I do the static grass on the 3rd baseboard.

Ballast underneath the point rodding

Ballast glued down between the 2 tracks at the station

 Then I painted the road surface asphalt colour.

After lunch, with the road surface paint now dry, I set about creating the last 2 sections of pavement on the 3rd baseboard.

Piece of board cut for the section of pavement continuing from the centre baseboard and the half-relief buildings at the rear of the layout

Final piece of board cut for the section of pavement continuing from the centre baseboard for the 2 thatched cottages

Superquick pavement papers cut and glued to the 2 pieces of board

Buildings temporarily in place to check alignment

View down the road

Final pavements glued down with Evo-Stik and handy weights used to keep it all flat

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment